please check out the anti-mandate news »

Internet providers monopolizing?

By Waitup follow Waitup   2021 Sep 26, 10:58pm 172 views   8 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

I have exclusively Comcast in my area and they keep increasing the rate by $10 every year. I have no other option but to pay up. My brother has only Cox in his area and he pays $100 every month and like me, he has no other option. Why isn't anyone complaining? What loophole is this? Where is the competition?
1   Blue   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 26, 11:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Is this any different from health scare provider market space with only one provider in certain markets.
2   Misc   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 27, 1:17am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Starlink will come after a while.
3   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 27, 6:02am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Is the T-Mobile 5G box available in your area?
4   WookieMan   ignore (5)   2021 Sep 27, 6:22am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

We have two providers. Frontier (telephone wire) and Mediacom (cable). Mediacom just buried a fiber line in front of my house and I'm waiting to hear back if I can get service fiber. The local library has it and the speeds are insane. We also have a service you can get called Aircell (I believe). Also there's an AT&T 5G tower in down, but they would throttle speeds after a while if you stream which we do.

Once you have the infrastructure in, it's hard for another company to compete after the fact. Eventually I think everything will be over the air/cellular. My cell phone gets totally respectable speed or at least functional for my whole house to use if necessary. They actually hit the cable when ditch witching the fiber wire and it was my first outage in 3 years. Myself and wife just used my phone hotspot. Worked totally fine.

I feel for those in internet "deserts" so to speak with just one service. Not having a choice would blow. I'm more of a service and speed guy, but I'm fortunate to have choices so prices are reasonable in my opinion for data usage and the speed for a small town of about 2,500 in the middle of corn fields.
5   just_passing_through   ignore (9)   2021 Sep 27, 7:13am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Misc says
Starlink will come after a while.

It's already available but from what I understand will only ever serve rural areas.
6   Waitup   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 27, 8:23am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

zzyzzx says
Is the T-Mobile 5G box available in your area?

Seems like it is available. I'll check it out. Thanks.
7   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 27, 8:24am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Waitup says
zzyzzx says
Is the T-Mobile 5G box available in your area?

Seems like it is available. I'll check it out. Thanks.

More importantly, if you do get it, let us know how it works out for you.
8   richwicks   ignore (2)   2021 Sep 27, 8:42am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Waitup says

You might want to look into using 5g instead. Just like landlines, some people don't bother with a wired connection today.

You'd have to look at your data usage to see if it's feasible. In some places, this works out to be about $50 / month.