Found out that I had a relative in Dachau

By Patrick follow Patrick   2019 Dec 28, 1:37pm 565 views   33 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

I sent an old photo of my grandmother's to relatives still living in Poland and found that the man in the photo was my grandmother's uncle and that he was imprisoned in Dachau during the war. His name was Józef Patrzykąt. Don't know if he survived the camp or not.

Huh, not sure why it shows up rotated. Looks vertical in Mac "Preview".

When I visited Poland during my college years, I was surprised that "The Holocaust" was not much of a thing there. It is not part of the Polish national curriculum the way it is in the United States.

Conversely, the Poles were adamant that I be educated in how many Poles were murdered by the Nazis to make room for German settlers (1.8 to 2.77 million non-Jewish ethnic Poles). This fact is simply not taught in the United States because it does not serve the interests of those in power here.
1   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 28, 1:39pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

That’s a pretty cool discovery. Do you plan to take family there to visit old world sometime?
2   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 1:40pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, I would like to go back with my family. Maybe this coming year.
3   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 28, 2:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Yes, I would like to go back with my family. Maybe this coming year.

We too are thinking of going in the summer, reconnect with the past.
4   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 2:12pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Fortwaynemobile says
We too are thinking of going in the summer, reconnect with the past.

@Fortwaynemobile To Poland, or another European country?
5   zzyzzx   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 28, 2:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lets see if this shows up vertical:
6   zzyzzx   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 28, 2:22pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Don't know if he survived the camp or not.

I would think that there would be online sources for that.
7   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 5:57pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Good idea. Looks like he died there:

Patrzykat
First Name: Josef
Date of Birthi: 04/03/1878
Place of Birth: Starogard
Whereabouts: perished
Date of Death: 12/11/1940

It's probably my relative, because Patrzykat is a rare name. Unlikely that there was another Jozef Patrzykat in Dachau.
8   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 6:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Woah, another site says he was released:

Last Name: PATRZYKONT
Category: Sch. P.
Category (translated): prisoner Polish
ID: 170377
Page: 4379/Scha.
Disk: 4
Frame: 372
Comment:
9   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 6:18pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Very interesting.

Patrick, do you know what part of Poland you have ties to?

I was born in Gdańsk and took my American wife and children to visit family there in 2017. It was a great trip!

You are absolutely right that the number of Polish people who died in the war isn’t something that’s given much attention here in the USA. The Polish don’t dominate the media, Hollywood, and the banks however.

There is still a great deal of animosity between the Polish and the Jews. Jews argue that the Polish didn’t do enough to oppose what the Germans did to the Jews in the war. And Poles believe that Jews have some audacity to make that claim given the circumstances and hardship they ensured themselves.
10   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 6:46pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, my grandmother was from Tuliszków and came to Chicago when she was 9.

I visited Tuliszków the year I studied in Germany in college. My relatives were very kind to me. I just met some of the the same relatives in Chicago this summer when they came there for a wedding.

True, the Poles and Jews do not get along well, which is awkward for me since my grandfather was Jewish.
11   HeadSet   ignore (3)   2019 Dec 28, 7:13pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Gdańsk was a German city named Danzig until after WWI when it was made it a "Free City" under League of Nations control. It was only annexed by Poland in 1945 along with a large portion of eastern Germany. It was then that the ethnic Germans were expelled and Polish people gradually moved in. Poland was sort of moved west (like picking up a carpet), as the Soviet Union annexed eastern Poland, and Poland annexed Eastern Germany.
12   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 28, 7:18pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Spain and Italy that’s the plan.

Patrick says
Fortwaynemobile says
We too are thinking of going in the summer, reconnect with the past.

@Fortwaynemobile To Poland, or another European country?
13   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 28, 7:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ah, dead smack between Poznań and Łódź
14   HEYYOU   ignore (46)   2019 Dec 28, 11:29pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Was the relative in the Gestapo or the S.S.? ;-)
15   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 29, 2:57am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I do have polish ancestry too, but there’s a lot if discovery to be made. Not a whole lot of records from the old days.

Fortwaynemobile says
Spain and Italy that’s the plan.

Patrick says
Fortwaynemobile says
We too are thinking of going in the summer, reconnect with the past.

@Fortwaynemobile To Poland, or another European country?
16   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 29, 10:27am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

23andme.com can help you reconnect with relatives, but then you've given up genetic info about yourself, and you can't undo it.
17   TrumpingTits   ignore (3)   2019 Dec 29, 12:35pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

First point, that was a Nazi thing. In East Germany, they were taught that it wasn't the German people's fault but the Nazis as well.

Second point, yes. 12 million died in the camps. Half untermenschen like Slavs and such. Half were Jews. We only learned about the Jews, pretty much.
18   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Dec 29, 6:08pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

True, the Nazis killed plenty of Germans as well, Communists, Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, anyone who opposed them.

But we are not taught that either.
19   RC2006   ignore (2)   2020 Jan 1, 3:50pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My great grandfather lost his his hair to mustard gas in WW1. Grandfather was combat photographer and interogator since he knew italian during WW2.

I heard from great uncle that while my grandfather was taking photos of FDR a camera bulb blew up and shot glass at him he thought he was toast even though it was an accident. I didn't think much of the story until I came across a box of war photos and there was one of FDR sitting in a car camera must have been about 4 feet away.
20   marcus   ignore (12)   2020 Jan 1, 4:40pm     ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Patrick says
But we are not taught that either.

Sure we were. It's just that all the other single groups pale in comparison to 6 million jews. I especially recall being told of the Poles, and I was never a history person as a kid, but I remember that.
21   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jan 1, 5:14pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yeah, what do a couple of million Poles matter? They're white, must be racists, all of them.

And the 10 million Russians that died in the war? More racists!
22   HeadSet   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 1, 7:42pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

And the 10 million Russians that died in the war? More racists!

20 million dead Soviets from that war is another figure bandied about. That would average over a 100,000 dead per week for that 3.5 year bloodshed. The Battle of Berlin took two weeks and cost 200,000 Soviets killed.
23   NoCoupForYou   ignore (5)   2020 Jan 2, 12:48pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

And the 10 million Russians that died in the war? More racists!

In 1941, the Germans were still repairing the railroads, and they didn't have enough rolling stock on the Russian narrow gauge.

They used to put Russian soldiers in barns and just light them up. Not just the SS, either.

Though von Rundstedt and others thought such acts beneath their Prussian Professionalism, it happened a great deal.

The Russians that did survive and were employed by the Nazis as factory workers or farm hands, were later caught by the Soviets were exterminated by Stalin as traitors, another tale forgotten. This included Russian women.

Cossacks that volunteered for the SS were also exterminated, but that was generally okay since they committed unbelievable atrocities against Civilians, particularly Ukrainians and Serbs. Germans bitch about the looting and rape in East Germany, but the Wehrmacht did plenty of that in Russia and Ukraine, what goes around comes around. Also, the whole thing is very exaggerated since Kulick hung Red Army rapist and looters despite Stalin's orders on the grounds of discipline. Chertok has an account of a Red Army soldier being shot for rape of a German woman, having lost both siblings to Wehrmacht atrocities, but Kulick shot him anyway in the name of military order.

Went the other way, too. Lots of Poles in NW Poland were simply declared German based on their geographic location, regardless of their monoglot Polish, Polish last name, etc.

Forgotten in our current newsheadlines is the historic hatred of Ukrainian Nationalists, resulting in mass slaughter of Poles in Western Ukraine, which was long part of Poland both during the Commonwealth and after the Restoration:

While everyone has heard of Katyn, there were plenty of massacres of Polish POWs and Officers by the Nazis, such as the Zakroczym incident in 1939.

Everything east of the Vistula and especially around the Pripyet Marshes are fucked up areas. Incest, Rape, Murder, Genocide, all well before WW2.

Land of Chernobog, Baba Yaga, etc. If you think Grimm's Fairy Tales are fucked up, check out some of the stories from the Region.

Occasionally, Dark Justice, such as what happened to the Prince of Rats, although this legend is a bit west of the Vistula:

On the other hand, the women are notoriously gorgeous.
24   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jan 3, 10:29am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says
20 million dead Soviets from that war is another figure bandied about.

Yes, sorry I underestimated by 10 million:

World War II losses of the Soviet Union from all related causes were about 27,000,000 both civilian and military, although exact figures are disputed. A figure of 20 million was considered official during the Soviet era.

RC2006 says

Actually, it's the opposite. The 6 million Jewish dead pales in comparison to the Russian dead.

Yet we almost never hear about the Russian dead. Why not?
25   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jan 3, 10:32am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NoCoupForYou says

When I German got good enough during my college years in Europe, I watched a documentary about WWII in German.

One thing that stuck with me was that even the Nazis had a pretty strict code of honor, and German soldiers were shot for the rape of French women after that invasion.
26   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jan 3, 10:38am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BTW, I found out that my relative's Dachau id number was Prisoner Number 8576, so it's definitely him in those records above.
27   RC2006   ignore (2)   2020 Jan 3, 10:39am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

RC2006 says

Can you give me link to where I said that? I don't remember writing that.
28   HeadSet   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 3, 4:30pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yet we almost never hear about the Russian dead. Why not?

The same reason you never see any annual "thank you" type events showing gratitude for the American, British, and Soviet forces who liberated the camps.
29   Ceffer   ignore (4)   2020 Jan 3, 5:10pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Found out that I had a relative in Dachau

It's time for him to leave. The war's been over since 1945.
30   NoCoupForYou   ignore (5)   2020 Jan 4, 7:12am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

That was in the West against fellow Germanics. Not in the East against subhuman Slavs.

The Germans also exterminated entire orphanages in Poland, I believe there was a Catholic Priest who was executed for leading a protest about it.
31   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jan 4, 3:00pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, Polish relatives told me that the Germans shot a retarded relative in a wheelchair just after arriving in town, Tuliszków.
32   NoCoupForYou   ignore (5)   2020 Jan 4, 4:35pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It's high time for a new narrative about Nazi Atrocities in the East that doesn't focus exclusively on the Holocaust.

It's way past time for a narrative, mandatory in all Public K-12, about Communist Atrocities in and around WW2 in particular.
33   HeadSet   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 4, 5:37pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says
Patrick says
Found out that I had a relative in Dachau

It's time for him to leave. The war's been over since 1945.

He still has a few lampshades to sell, be patient.